While the weather is still relatively warm, now is a great time to get some of those household projects that you have been putting off done. It is also a great time to complete some routine maintenance on your home to avoid having any issues over the winter, or during the next big storm. Here are some things to inspect right now:
- Test your smoke detectors and change the batteries. Also remove any dust that may be on the detectors as it could affect the smoke sensor. This should be done every 6 months.
- Walk the perimeter of your home and check for cracks in the foundation or holes around the outside that may have been dug by burrowing animals looking for shelter.
- Walk the perimeter of your property and trim any trees or shrubs that could be a nuisance later on.
- Check your driveway or walkways for any cracks that could cause accidents. Have them repaired.
- If you have fencing to keep your pets on your property, check to make sure there are no gaps or rotted posts that could let your pet get out. Remember, you are responsible if your pet injures someone, even if it is not on your property.
- Look at your roof and make sure there are no lifting or missing shingles.
- Check all your out buildings, like garages and sheds, and make any repairs to them that may be needed.
- Most importantly, check your homeowner’s insurance policy to make sure you have all the coverage you will need in the event of a claim situation. If you need more explanation of your policy or would like to discuss different coverage, please call us. We would be happy to find the right policy to fit your needs as a homeowner.
Do you have any other helpful home maintenance tips for the new season? Leave your suggestions in the comments!